Title of post: Creative Edinburgh Awards Artist in Residence
Accountable to: Executive Director & Programme Manager
Conditions: The terms of the contract will be agreed in due course to allow for the artist to be part of the project development phase. The residency will be part-time and will amount to 10 full working days. It will conclude by December 2022.
The Artist in Residence will have use of space in the Creative Edinburgh office at CodeBase, however, some remote working will be possible.
Location of residence: CodeBase, 37a Castle Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2EL
Fee: £204 per day (the day rate has been based on the Scottish Artist Union 8-hour day rate for a new graduate artist. The total fee available for 10 days of full time work will be £2040)
The artist will be contracted on a freelance basis and will be responsible for paying their own tax and national insurance.
This year we are celebrating 10 years of the Creative Edinburgh Awards and we would like to support an Artist in Residence to develop the visuals for this year’s event.
The aim of the first ever Creative Edinburgh Artist in Residence is to provide an exciting opportunity for an artist to work in partnership with the Creative Edinburgh team to curate the visuals and video content for this year’s Creative Edinburgh Awards.
During the residency there will be opportunities to attend a range of our events, work with the team, meet other artists and companies in the sector and benefit from mentoring and professional development provided by Creative Edinburgh.
The Artist in Residence programme is flexible and will be developed and defined depending on the artform area of the artist (e.g. illustration/graphic design etc). The artist will be required to develop a body of creative work that celebrates our annual Awards. Their artwork will be used in the promotional materials for the Awards campaign and will feature prominently throughout the Awards evening. The artwork will need to be in line with Creative Edinburgh's already established brand. We're open to all art forms however, there will be the need for basic graphic design skills, even if the majority of the residency is not in Graphic Design. In addition the Artist in Residence may be expected to:
- give a talk/presentation about their work
- participate in the evaluation of the residency
- provide documentation on the residency experience for use in reports and presentations and on the Creative Edinburgh website
- represent Creative Edinburgh at meetings and events in the run up to the Awards
- This post is open to early and mid-career artists. Applicants should be professional artists with a proven interest in creating visual designs for events or initatives.
- You must be based in Edinburgh and able to start the role by Monday 22nd August.
- You must have worked on visual campaigns in the past.
- You will be familiar or able to familiarise yourself quickly with Creative Edinburgh’s values, our ethos and the work we do, especially our annual Awards programme.
Skills and attributes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent visual design skills
For further information and to apply
Please apply through the following methods:
- A cover letter (no more than one page, please)and any supporting materials.
- A video application, (no longer than four minutes please) and any supporting materials.
Whatever method you wish to submit your application, please include information about your experience to date, why you have been/are now interested in this position, how you fit the skills required for this creative opportunity and your initial ideas of how you’d like to approach the work.
Please attach a small selection of supporting materials to demonstrate the quality of your work – eg photographs, video clips/portfolio.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com no later than the deadline. Late submissions will not be accepted.
You can also optionally complete the Equal Opportunity Monitoring Form and return it along with your application.
Application Deadline: 7th August at 23:59.
Informal interviews will be held in person or online on Wednesday 10th August at CodeBase in Edinburgh. Candidates should be available on this date.
About Creative Edinburgh
Creative Edinburgh unites creative thinkers across the city. Through events, career support and advocacy, we bring together and help grow the city’s creative community, providing a space for creation, collaboration and connection at every stage of your career.
About the Creative Edinburgh Awards
Since 2012, we've been celebrating the city's creative community at our annual Creative Edinburgh Awards, highlighting the projects, people and places that flourish across Edinburgh and continually ensure its place on the cultural map, nationally and internationally.
Combined with our Birthday Bash, every Autumn we get together to don the dancing shoes, raise a glass and cheer on our fellow creatives.