[Article last updated: Tuesday 2nd June]
Here at Creative Edinburgh, we realise the impact of Coronavirus can be a difficult and worrying time.
As we bring together Edinburgh’s creative community for connection and collaboration, we are staying aware of the current guidance regarding public events and the risks of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Please see below for changes to outstanding events and a list of resources for creatives.
We will update this post regularly as things progress.
Creative Edinburgh Events Update
Bringing creatives together is at the core of what we do, and this more than ever is a time when connection and community is vital. We're sad we won't get to say hello to community members new and old in person over the coming months, but we'll make sure our digital events remain a fun, informative and relaxed way for you to connect with us and fellow creatives.
Our monthly meet up Creative Circles will still hold connectivity and creativity at the centre as we invite members of our community to discuss Hot Topics right now (and not all Coronavirus related!). Our Community Correspondents (aka Team CE!) will be on hand to bring your voice into the conversation too. Plus, there'll be more fun ways to connect, create and chat! Our next Creative Circles takes place on Tuesday 2nd June - register here.
We'll also be launching our new skills programme later in the year - in digital form if we must!
Stay up-to-date with our events via our newsletter, or explore our Events Calendar.
COVID-19 - Advice
The current advice surrounding COVID-19 from the Scottish Government is to protect yourself and others by staying at home, only going outside for essential food, health and work reasons, staying 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people and washing your hands regularly and as soon as you get home.
If you do fear you may have symptoms of coronavirus, the NHS advises in Scotland that you do not go to your GP to help avoid the spread of infection, but call your GP or NHS 111. There is also an online symptom checker which you can take online to determine your predicted risk level via https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19.
A variety of funding and grant opportunities have opened in light of COVID-19.
To help you discover those which are available across the creative industries, we've collated a blog featuring a full list of funding and grant applications.
Sick Pay for the self-employed?
At Creative Edinburgh, we understand the majority of our members are freelancers and there are worries surrounding the topic of 'sick pay' for the self-employed.
The expectation is that Coronavirus will impact our economy. It is not yet known to what extent and which areas will suffer the most.
The Chancellor Exchequer has now delivered Budget 2020, which includes Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). The level of which is dependent on your working hours and income. It is important to note, if required, this may take a few weeks to process your application.
Freelancers may also wish to check if you have any health or income protection insurance in place which could potentially help financially, if this situation was to arise.
If you’re worried about the effect this may have on your current contracts and how the potential for transition to working fully digitally, discover more tips in this feature from Leapers regarding - Eight things to consider if you’re freelance and worried about coronavirus - including the creation of a contingency plan with clients, connecting with digital communities and more.
Self-Isolation / Working From Home
As the current Governmental Advice includes self-isolation, protecting others and slowing down the spread of COVID-19, many companies and freelancers have transitioned to periods of time working from home.
If you’re not used to working from a different environment, this can be a difficult adjustment time.
To help you with tips and advice, check out these useful features:
- ’How to work from Home’ - StartUps
- ’ The expert guide to working from home’ - Creative Bloq
- How to survive (and escape) working from home as a creative freelancer - CreativeBoom
- “Tricks and tools for better working from home” - BBC
- How to WFH with kids - Breathe HR
- UK Government - Coronavirus: latest information and advice
- NHS 111 Online - About Coronavirus / Symptom Checker
- NHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- WHO - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public
- NHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice for professionals
- NHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19) [ British Sign Language Video ]
- NHS - Coronavirus (COVID-19) [ Easy Read]
- Transport Scotland - Advice on how to travel safely
- UK Government - Guidance for British people travelling abroad
- UK Government - Advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents
- IPSE - Coronavirus: what IPSE is doing and advice for freelancers and the self-employed
- Citizens Advice Scotland - Coronavirus - what it means for you
- UK Government - COVID-19: Guidance for employers and businesses
- UK Government - COVID-19: support for businesses
- Equity - Coronavirus briefing: financial support
- Arts & Business Scotland - Managing the Impact of Covid-19 on VAT Recovery
- Mind - Coronavirus and your wellbeing
- Mental Health Foundation - Looking after your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak
- Calm - Mindfulness and help with anxiety and sleep
- Headspace - Secular mindfulness and help with anxiety
- Tarabach - Meditations and talks from a Buddhist perspective, but relevant to all
- School of Life - "How to get through this crisis" video
Additional Advice & Toolkits for Creatives:
- Creative Scotland - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advice
- Craft Scotland - A Maker's Guide to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Craft Scotland - COMPASS 1:1 Session - Financial Advice & Support
- Independent Arts Projects - COVID-19 Impact on Arts Workers +
- The List - Coronavirus: Support for artists and creatives
- Artsy Shark - Things artists can do while self-isolated
- Safety with Software - Softwares available for free to the public in light of the COVID-19 pandemic
- PR Dispatch - Surviving Coronavirus (COVID-19) as a small business
- LinkedIn Group - Creative Industry [COVID-19] Support
- SCAN - SCAN Factsheet: Digital Working, Meetings and Events
- Thinking Museum - Offline to Online Training: How to Quickly Adapt a Course
- Future Learn - Collaborative Working in a Remote Team
- Just Enterprise - E-Learning: Impact Measurement
- Social Impact Tools - Social Impact Canvas [ Download ]
- Universities UK - Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Creative Scotland - Roundup of virtual creativity
- Craft Scotland - Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Craft Sector: Makers
- Craft Scotland - Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Craft Sector: Venues, Studios and Curators
- Police Scotland - Your Police
- Startupgrind - Startups: How Are You Doing? How Can We Help?
- Scottish Government - Call for Views on the Impact of COVID-19 on Scotland’s Culture
and Tourism Sectors
- Business Gateway - Online Tutorials for Businesses
- Just Enterprise - E-Learning Calendar
- Social Shifters - E-learning with a global community of social entrepreneurs
- Skillshare - Watch, play, learn, make, and discover
- Look Again - Creative Entrepreneurship [Postgraduate Short Course]
- Creative Mornings - FieldTrips meetups to interact, learn and collaborate
- Future Learn - Online courses from top universities and specialist organisations
- Alison - Free Online Courses & Digital Learning
- The Skills Toolkit - Free digital and numeracy courses to build your skills
- The Open University - Over 200 qualifications and free courses to build your skillset